2010年11月3日水曜日

English education in Japanese elementary school

English education in elementary school will start from next spring. It has been expected for a long time in Japan. I agree with the system. The issue has been actively discussed in various scenes of education. Many critics and parents strongly insist that second language learning has to be started as early as possible, because children have possibility to acquire languages innately without any special training. It is common the parents expect their children to be bilingual when they grow up. Nobody knows, however, how children get the knowledge of language in their brains. Some will succeed and others will not. Basically it depends on individuals.

On the other hand, it is true that there are very strong opposite opinions. They say that children should learn mother language at first. Otherwise, they will lose the chance to get Japanese grammar and the basic framework, and they might miss identity as the Japanese eventually. Anyway, the die is cast and it will start in next spring.

First of all, I would like to refer to my own background. I started to study English in junior high school. At that time I tried very hard to read and write, but little audio lingual exercise. To my regret, I could not find any native speakers in my surroundings. The English learning method was far behind today’s system as well. Though a long time has passed since then, my efforts might have resulted in fail. Because I still have many difficulties in English learning. The good beginning results in good outcome.

Judging from the fact that I brought up three children abroad, it would be better to start learning English as a second language at the age of around 8 to10 years old. Too early learning of a new language threatens what they have already gained for themselves; late beginning over marginal ages could not have an intended effect on a new language acquisition. However, there still seems to be an element that can only depending on individuals; some children can, others cannot.

At elementary school, teachers have to deal with about 40 pupils in the class. Teacher can give English lessons but they cannot give an education. At the end of the lesson, the group turns into 40 individuals who go off to use English for their own use and in their own ways. Even such an English class is better than nothing in the class. Joking aside, I really expect the beginning of English education and I hope Japanese people to be much positive in using English as a global communication method in the future.

2 件のコメント:

  1. i really feel the system of English education in Japan until today is all wrong. we have been accustomed too much with grammar and writing... communication cannot start without any audio methods of language. it will be a hard time for us when they with "communicative" English will be on the same stage with ours!

    返信削除
  2. I personally agree with your opinion.
    Basically it depends on individual efforts but it is preferable to do something rather than nothing. (EM)

    返信削除